Director of Strategic Initiatives
The Fund for our Economic Future (“Fund”) seeks a full-time Director of Strategic Initiatives to join its small leadership team. The Fund is primarily an in-office environment, with some remote work and schedule flexibility possible. The Fund seeks to attract both established and emerging leaders. This position reports to the President of the Fund. It has a starting salary of $95,000 with upward flexibility for a candidate with demonstrated capabilities and significant relevant prior experience.
In existence since 2004, the Fund serves as a creative space for civic leaders in Northeast Ohio to advance more equitable economic growth. For more about the Fund for Our Economic Future, please visit www.thefundneo.org.
The person most likely to succeed in this role is an excellent listener, takes a “yes, and…” approach to ideation, enjoys presenting to a variety of forums, has a strong grasp of the principles of equitable economic growth and can connect between pilot initiatives and systemic change. (S)he/they thrives on blue sky thinking, bringing structure to unstructured building partnership and the potential to drive more equitable economic outcomes for the people of Northeast Ohio.
The Director of Strategic Initiatives is responsible for initiative portfolio performance management, existing initiative oversight, and new initiative ideation.
Portfolio Performance Management. Director will update and maintain performance management system that connects between big picture equitable growth objectives and the Fund’s initiative portfolio. Responsibilities include:
- Developing and maintaining a performance management template, connecting between the objectives of individual initiatives, the Fund’s three-year strategic objectives and the long-term vision of a growing Northeast Ohio with good jobs and rising incomes for all;
- Reviewing organizational progress against goals with staff quarterly; and
- Preparing summary reports on progress for President, Board and, as appropriate, the public.
Existing Initiative Oversight. Director is the lead staff for the Fund’s overall initiative portfolio. Responsibilities include overseeing existing significant job creation, job access and racial inclusion efforts, e.g., developing a community investment fund or the next steps for The Paradox Prize.
New Initiative Ideation. Director is charged with staying abreast of issues that matter to equitable economic growth and listening for and ideating around opportunities for the Fund to drive stronger outcomes. Responsibilities include:
- Maintaining a strong cross-sector (private, public, philanthropic and community-based) partnership network, especially listening for opportunities for the Fund to support problem solving or new initiative development;
- Bridging between problem observation and potential solutions;
- Keeping up with the field of equitable economic growth; and
- Managing contracted data analysis firms for annual updates to headline equitable growth metrics and sourcing responsive data requests
Education and Experience Specific to the Position:
- A wide variety of past experiences could be applied to this position. Within those, prior experience influencing leaders without positional authority, structuring ideas, building new and/or bringing existing networks, serving in a consulting capacity and leading teams will be important for this position.
- Evidence of exceptional listening skills, critical thinking ability, oral communication and presentation skills, economic analysis and an understanding of what matters for equitable economic growth and the communities the Fund seeks to serve are all extremely important.
- Other important qualities include a working knowledge of economic data, service orientation, ability to self-manage, ability to manage and facilitate others, and written communication skills
- No specific level of education is required
Good to Know:
- This is one of three full-time positions currently open at the Fund. Interested candidates who believe they are a good fit for the vision of the job, but don’t yet have the experience level required or the capability to cover the full scope described, may still be considered with commensurate adjustments to the overall role, responsibilities and salary.
- The Fund is a mission-driven organization. Candidates best suited to this work are those excited about and ready to engage on tough issues related to advancing a growing, more equitable economy for all residents of Northeast Ohio, regardless of race or place.
- The Fund values its staff and offers (and encourages use of!) competitive paid time off. Full time staff are covered by medical, dental, and short and long-term disability policies.
- We seek to build a caring, high-performance culture. We also strive to be an environment where achieving excellence at work doesn’t prevent team members from living full outside-of-work lives.
- The Fund is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law. We embrace and celebrate diversity and strive to create genuine belonging for all.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.